Stressed Out...Do Compartmentalize or Let It Out?
Its a special time year for me and for many others. The holidays are here and lots of family gatherings and get togethers. Busy with work, life, and kids and I'm feeling a little more stress than usual. Stress is normal, to a point, and can even be good for you. Stress can make you push yourself to do better, study more, try harder. Those are the positives. Stress can also make you sick, literally.
I remember the days when stresses revolved around grades, getting picked for something, or finding out if "he" liked me. Such a simpler time. Now life involves many situations and circumstances beyond my control. Normally I am one for letting it out and being done with it but sometimes that can create more problems than fixes. So what does one do? Bottling up your stress is not good for you. I actually think I may be getting an ulcer from my avoidance of addressing a situation. Or it could be someone slipped me some gluten, which I am completely intolerant.
I have done some research and here is what I should and should not be doing to deal with my stress.
- Exercise - I do this regularly.
- Get Out of Your Head - I have been obsessing about the issue. I know I need to get out of my head.
- Get Some Rest - I suffer from insomnia and with thoughts of this issue in my head my sleep is not great.
- Visualize Calm - I try and it works, temporarily.
- Take a bath - I do this regularly but still can't clear by my mind. The thoughts seem more intrusive in a quiet bath.
- No Drinking or Smoking - I don't smoke but I actually think maybe a glass of wine in the bath would help.
- Don't Ignore the Problem - Yep I have been doing that.
- Don't Eat Feelings - Not much of an appetite actually.
I know the real answer. I have to address the situation that is stressing me out. Problem is I would prefer to avoid and hope that the problem fixes itself. The latter has yet to happen. What would you do? Do you avoid problems or uncomfortable situations hoping they fix themselves or that they will just go away?